Can You Get A Certificate of Publication On Your Own In New York?
Are you looking to get a Certificate of Publication If so, you need to be familiar with the LLC New York State Publication Requirement in New York? This important document is proof to the state that your LLC has met the Newspaper Publication Requirement to maintain authorization to do business in New York. For a long time, newly formed corporations were required to announce their presence by publishing announcements in local newspapers. Even though many people use the internet to locate products and services they need, some states still require this procedure.
The penalty for not complying with publication requirements can be significant. If you do not adhere to the publication requirements, your authority to do business in New York could be suspended. Even though it is a relic of the old days, the LLC publication requirement is still a law in New York. What does this mean, and what do you need to do to comply?
Proof that your LLC has met all requirements related to the Newspaper Publication Law is required to do business in New York. Typically, you need to publish announcements in two separate newspapers for six weeks in a row. If you do not meet this requirement in the time allotted, you will not receive the Certificate of Publication. As a result, your company may be suspended from doing business in New York.
What Are New York’s Publishing Requirements?
First, you need to register your LLC with the New York Department of State. You can do this either in person, online, by mail, or through fax. After this, you need to publish a formal notice of the formation of your LLC. You have 120 days to post a copy of your articles of organization in two separate newspapers.
If you have a foreign LLC, you still have to publish within the same time frame following your Application for Authority. You do not get to choose your newspapers. The newspapers are assigned to you by the county clerk. The county clerk will be from the county that the articles state as the location of your company.
Once this is done, you can request your Certificate of Publication. This will get filed with the New York Secretary of State, allowing you to continue to do business in New York.
How Long Does the Process Take?
After you form your LLC, you will have 120 days to post a copy of your articles. In general, the process will take six weeks from this point. The newspapers have to post your articles once per week for six consecutive weeks. Usually, one of the papers will be a daily paper, and the other will be a weekly one.
Remember that you do not get to choose the newspapers. The county clerk from the county in which your LLC is formed will select the papers for you.
After you have completed the process, the publisher of each newspaper will give you a document called an Affidavit of Publication. An Affidavit of Publication is a sworn, written statement made in the presence of a notary public attesting that the publication took place on specified days. Then, take your Certificate of Publication and your affidavit with the newspaper announcement to the Department of State. The filing fee is $50, and this will complete the process.
The process generally takes six weeks; however, it depends on how quickly the county clerk can locate newspapers for you to publish in. It may also take a few extra days for them to process your paperwork. If you meet the publication requirement after the 120-day window, your authority to do business should be reinstated if it was suspended for failing to comply by 120 days.
How Much Does it Cost?
The process can vary, but it usually costs between $600 and $1,200. Several factors will play a role in how much the process will cost. Some of the most important factors include:
- Location: The location in which your business is based will play a role in how much the process costs. Some newspapers in some locations cost more money than others, so you may want to look at the newspapers in the county in which your LLC is hosted.
- Special Advertising Rates: Most newspapers have a special rate they charge for this type of service. Newspapers know that you need to publish your advertisement with them to do business in New York. Therefore, they will probably have a special fee for this type of announcement.
- Filing Fees: Finally, do not forget the filing fees associated with the process. There is a $50 certificate for the publication filing fee, and there may be additional fees associated with the affidavits. It would help if you talked to the county clerk to figure out the rates in your location.
Overall, the process should cost between $600 and $1,200, but the price can vary depending on where you are located.
Benefits of hiring Windsor Publishing
There are many steps to meeting publication requirements, yet it may not be apparent for someone who has never gone through this before. You may think you can complete this on your own, but something might fall through the cracks. Then, your authority to do business could be suspended.
That is why it is best to work with a team that can assist you. Some of the largest benefits include:
- Save Time: The first benefit of hiring Windsor Publishing Inc. is saving a significant amount of time. If you are in the process of forming a new business, you have very little time. Invest your time where it needs to be – let Windsor Publishing Inc. manage these details.
- Reduce Stress: You can also significantly reduce stress if you work with Windsor Publishing Inc. Fortunately, you do not have to go through the cumbersome process of filing different kinds of paperwork alone. Windsor Publishing Inc. can help you file this paperwork, ensuring nothing gets missed out. That way, you can relax and focus on other areas of your company.
- Reduce Regulatory Risk: A professional corporate services team can also help you reduce your regulatory risk. Remember that if you do not make the publication requirement by 120 days, your authority to do business in New York could be suspended. This is a serious risk, and you need to do everything you can to avoid it. That is why you should work with a team that has been through this before. If you work with a professional service, you know that all tasks will be completed appropriately the first time around.
- Save Money: Finally, you can also save money if you work with a corporate services team. You may be able to avoid potential fines associated with overlooking certain requirements. Furthermore, the corporate services team knows how much it costs to publish in your county. They can make sure you are being charged a fair rate.
These are just a few of the top benefits of working with a professional corporate services team. If you need to meet the NYS Publication Requirement LLC for your certificate of publication, work with Windsor Publishing Inc..
How Can Windsor Publishing Inc. Help?
If you have a business you are trying to build; you may want to do business in New York. If you wish to have this privilege, you need to meet the NYS Publication Requirement LLC and earn your certificate of publication. You may think that you can do this independently, but it is always better to work with a professional who can assist you. There are a lot of steps involved in this process, and you need to work with a corporate services team that has been there before. At Windsor Publishing Inc., we can help you do exactly that.
We have a tremendous amount of experience working with businesses across all industries. We can use our expertise to help you as well. There are a lot of boxes you need to check, and there are a lot of forms you need to sign. You would probably rather spend your time on other areas of your business, and we can help you with the publication requirement. Some of the benefits of working with our team include:
- We can use our experience to help you through this process.
- We have connections across multiple counties that we can use to expedite this process.
- We can help you make sure you do not overlook anything.
- We can free up your time to focus on more critical areas of your business.
These are just a few of the many benefits you will enjoy if you decide to partner with our team. If you want to work with a professional service that can help you meet the NYS Publication Requirement LLC and earn your certificate of publication, then look no further than Windsor Publishing Inc. It would be our honor to assist you. Contact us today to speak to a team member and learn more about how we can help you! We would be honored to work with you.